Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK

On 12/30/2014 09:20 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Bernd Helmle <mailings@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
--On 29. Dezember 2014 12:55:11 -0500 Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Given the lack of previous complaints, this probably isn't backpatching
material, but it sure seems like a bit of attention to consistency
would be warranted here.
Now that i read it i remember a client complaining about this some time
ago. I forgot about it, but i think there's value in it to backpatch.
Hm.  Last night I wrote the attached draft patch, which I was intending
to apply to HEAD only.  The argument against back-patching is basically
that this might change the interpretation of scripts that had been
accepted silently before.  For example
	\set ECHO_HIDDEN NoExec
will now select "noexec" mode whereas before you silently got "on" mode.
In one light this is certainly a bug fix, but in another it's just
definitional instability.

If we'd gotten a field bug report we might well have chosen to back-patch,
though, and perhaps your client's complaint counts as that.

Opinions anyone?

I got caught by this with ON_ERROR_ROLLBACK on 9.3 just this afternoon before remembering this thread. So there's a field report :-)

+0.75 for backpatching (It's hard to imagine someone relying on the bad behaviour, but you never know).

cheers

andrew