Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Error: "Out of memory while reading tuples." in pushing table from SAS to PostgreSQL on Mac

On 12/13/2014 08:03 PM, wetter wetterana wrote:
Hi,

I'm passing rows from SAS to PostgreSQL (I assign a libname and use a
PROC APPEND).  This works fine with smaller tables (~below 1 million
rows).  However, as tables get larger I receive the following error
messages:

This will need some more explaining for those of us that do not use SAS on a regular basis.

Or to put it another way, what exactly are you doing?

"ERROR: CLI describe error: Out of memory while reading tuples.; No
query has been executed with that handle"
and
"GLOBAL SYSDBMSG POSTGRES: Out of memory while reading tuples.; No query
has been executed with that handle
GLOBAL SYSDBRC HY000"

So where exactly are the above messages coming from, they do not look like Postgres messages?

I've tried to change memory settings on the PostgreSQL server, but can't
solve the problem.  As far as I could understand—I'm new to PostgreSQL
;)—it seems that PostgreSQL want to somehow read information on the
whole table before processing it and this behavior could eventually be
switched off, but I might be wrong here.

I thought the information was going from SAS to Postgres, so I am not sure why Postgres would need to read the table?

FYI:
- I run SAS 9.4 on a windows machine.
- I run PostgreSQL server on a MAC: PostgreSQL 9.3.5 on
x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0, compiled by Apple LLVM version 5.1, 64-bit
   I've Pgadmin 1.18.1 installed.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

THANKS!

PS: For several reasons, I cannot use the bulkload feature in SAS for
this job.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx