Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Idle Sessions inTransaction with RELEASE_EXEC_SVP queries and locks

On 12/08/2014 02:05 AM, chris.jurado@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
​I am having a problem with having idle sessions in transactions. In
pgAdmin Server Status, it is showing "RELEASE_EXEC_SVP_XXXXXX" (XXXXXX
data are varied) as its query and it's locks also contain a lot of these
"RELEASE_EXEC_SVP_XXXXXX" entries. What do these mean? These commonly
cause lock blocking problems because these sessions sometimes lock other
rows but the session status is always "Idle in transaction". I do not
know why there are sessions like these. I have reviewed our system and
do not see any possibility of transactions getting started that are not
rollbacked or committed and just stay idle so this must be something
internal to postgresql.

Version of PostgreSQL is 9.2.8 running on Windows using psqlodbc driver
9.0.3.210.

From the psqlodbc source this would seem to indicate SAVEPOINTs are involved, so you might want to take a look at this thread:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/52dd07051f6b42b09328c339c7b9c5d4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

in particular this message: