Search Postgresql Archives

Re: INSERT to partitioned table doesn't return row count

On 12/03/2014 11:19 AM, Kris Deugau wrote:
Is it possible to return the number of rows inserted to a partitioned
table set up as per the examples on
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/ddl-partitioning.html, in
the same way as if you inserted directly into a target table?

I can sort of see why it returns 0, because 0 rows are actually inserted
in the parent table, but I'd prefer not to have to make all the code
around this use case partition-aware;  most of it isn't mine.

I have not used partitioned tables enough, but it would seem this is covered here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-select.html

table_name

The name (optionally schema-qualified) of an existing table or view. If ONLY is specified before the table name, only that table is scanned. If ONLY is not specified, the table and all its descendant tables (if any) are scanned. < ***>Optionally, * can be specified after the table name to explicitly indicate that descendant tables are included.<***>

I tried modifying the last RETURN line in the trigger function but
couldn't find anything that was even valid syntax.

-kgd

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx