Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Merge rows based on Levenshtein distance

David,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I believe your answer helped a lot but it
seems I was not clear enough on my description. Basically I want a counter
(id) to show if two or more names are similar (i.e. levenshtein distance
less than 3) So in the previous example:

>From this table:

Name, City
"Booob", "NYC"
"Alex", "Washington"
"Alexj2", "Washington"
"Bob", "NYC"
"Aleex1", "Washington"

to get this table:

id, Name, City
1,"Alex", "Washington"
1,"Aleex1", "Washington"
1,"Alexj2", "Washington"
2,"Bob", "NYC"
2,"Booob", "NYC"

So basically the id is a counter that starts from "1" and increments only
when there is a different name. Please notice that the table has its names
in a completely random order.