Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Ever increasing pg_clog disk usage v8.4

Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> "Powrie, William" <wpowrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The files in pg_clog increase on a day to day basis until the ramdisk
>> reaches 100% utilization. This takes roughly 30 days to occur and
>> postgresql fails at this point.

> pg_clog stores information about current commit status for open/active transactions. Do you close all transactions after they're work is done? Do you have any in "IDLE in transaction" state?

Leaving prepared transactions sitting (without committing them or
rolling them back) could do this as well, I believe.

8.4 seems to default to max_prepared_transactions = 0 so it would
take some extra work to shoot yourself in the foot that way, but
it's definitely possible.

			regards, tom lane