Search Postgresql Archives

Re: String searching

Jonathan Vanasco-7 wrote
> The reason is that GIN/GIST use language patterns to simplify the index.
> so they work great on "words"
>
> 	select plainto_tsquery('doing watching reading programming');
> 	'watch' & 'read' & 'program'
>
> but not so great on "names":
>
> 	select plainto_tsquery('john doe');
> 	 'john' & 'doe'
>
> 	select plainto_tsquery('jon doe');
> 	 'jon' & 'doe

Going from memory here so take with a cave full of salt...

This doesn't help the OP but full text search is simply a single user of
gin/gist index families; there are others.  The two features are related but
operate at different levels of abstraction/interaction.

At a cursory glance I would think trigram would be a good fit here...but as
I've never used it personally I could be way off base.  The idea being to
figure out whether the smaller string's trigrams all exist in the larger
string.

David J.