Search Postgresql Archives

Re: troubleshooting a database that keeps locking up

Jonathan Vanasco <postgres@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have a database that has started to constantly hang after a brief period of activity

> looking at `select * from pg_stat_activity;` I roughly see the following each time:

> 	process 1 | <IDLE>
> 	process 2 | <IDLE> in transaction
> 	process 3 | <IDLE> in transaction
> 	process 4 | <IDLE>
> 	process 5 | <IDLE>
> 	process 6 | <IDLE>
> 	process 7 | INSERT INTO table_a ........  RETURNING id

> Does anyone have tips on how I can troubleshoot this.

It's a reasonable bet that process 7 is blocked waiting for a lock that's
held by one of the idle-in-transaction processes.  You could look into
pg_locks to confirm that.

> I was hoping there would be some way to show the history of the "<IDLE> in transaction" processes, but I couldn't find them.

No, PG doesn't track that.  You could turn on log_statement = all and
then look to the postmaster log to see what those processes had been
doing.  (You'll probably want to set log_line_prefix to at least %p
if you haven't already.)

			regards, tom lane