Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Importing binary data

I'm using

psql mydb
# copy attachments FROM '/opt/tmp/clientdata/sql-data-p/attachments.dat' with NULL as 'NULL';

to load the database back in. The psql command runs on the same box as the DB server.

If I had my way, I'd store the binary somewhere and keep a reference to it in the database. Having binary data (images, PDFs, etc.) in the database never made much sense to me. But this is a client's DB. They used to have an application written in something called "Progress 4GL" and now ported all that to use PostgreSQL with what ever front end (I have no idea). I believe they are using the new app just like the old app, so unfortunately, I can't just go and change the underlying database structure.

Hope this helps to clarify the issue.