Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Inconsistency between PgAdmin III GUI and SQL window ?

On 10/22/2014 03:25 AM, Daniel Begin wrote:
David, Adrian,
I am new to databases and since PgAdmin displays Catalogs, Event Triggers,
Extensions and Schema as "Child" of the database, I assumed that Extensions
were linked to a specific database, not to a specific schema.

Yes and no. If they are installed in the pg_catalog schema then they are available database wide:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ddl-schemas.html

In addition to public and user-created schemas, each database contains a pg_catalog schema, which contains the system tables and all the built-in data types, functions, and operators. pg_catalog is always effectively part of the search path. If it is not named explicitly in the path then it is implicitly searched before searching the path's schemas. This ensures that built-in names will always be findable. However, you can explicitly place pg_catalog at the end of your search path if you prefer to have user-defined names override built-in names.

This is where you will find the procedural languages. So in psql you can do the below to see what is installed and where:

test=# \dx
                                 List of installed extensions
Name | Version | Schema | Description
-----------+---------+------------+------------------------------------------------------------
hstore | 1.2 | public | data type for storing sets of (key, value) pairs
 plpgsql   | 1.0     | pg_catalog | PL/pgSQL procedural language
tablefunc | 1.0 | public | functions that manipulate whole tables, including crosstab

After reading your answers, I had another look at PostGIS extension
properties and it is pretty clear it belongs to the public schema, which
explains the error message I got.

Thanks
Daniel

--