Search Postgresql Archives

Re: psql generate insert command based on select

On 10/10/2014 10:27 AM, "Leonardo M. Ramé" wrote:
Hi, today I needed to re-create certain records deleted from a mysql
database, so I restored an old backup, opened a terminal and logged in
to the old database using the "mysql" command line utility, then opened
a new terminal with mysql connected to the production database. Then did
a "select * from table where id=xxx \G;" to display a record, then, on
the other terminal I had to write "insert into table(field1,
field2,...,fieldN) values(...);" for each record.

While doing that I tought of a neat feature that psql could provide,
that is something like "\insert for select * from table where id=xxx;"
this should create the insert command for the requested query.

Is such a thing already present in psql?.

I may be missing something but:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-insert.html

INSERT INTO films SELECT * FROM tmp_films WHERE date_prod < '2004-05-07';

or are you thinking of something that takes a SELECT query and turns it into a series of INSERT queries.

The only way I can of doing this is to use pg_dump -t some_table -a --inserts or --column-inserts

Regards,

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx