Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Inheritance and column mapping

On 03/10/2014 05:54, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 10/2/14, 9:00 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Achilleas Mantzios <achill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Was there ever any discussion.thought about being able to follow a non-strict by name
column mapping between inherited tables and father tables?
No.  You could use a view with UNION ALL perhaps.
FWIW, I've had some less than stellar results with that (admittedly, back on 8.4).

The other thing you could do is something like:

ALTER TABLE invoice_document RENAME TO invoice_document_raw;
ALTER TABLE invoice_document_raw RENAME invoice_no TO doc_no;
CREATE VIEW invoice_document AS
    SELECT ...
        , doc_no AS invoice_no
        , ...
    FROM invoice_document_raw
;

If you make that view writable then no one needs to know that you renamed the column in the underlying table.

That is a brilliant idea, thank you!
One problem is that the tables are a part of a 100-node replication system base on a heavily hacked
version of DBMirror, over a non-TCPIP Satellite network. That would require rewriting rules
and deploying this across the remote nodes.
I would be afraid to run the ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO command in this system.
So, we could just bite the bullet and get our team rewrite all programs.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
Head of IT DEV