Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to find greatest record before known values fast

Hi!

So kellaaeg is a time? Your best bet here would be to create an index that is an actual timestamp comprised of both >kuupaev and kellaaeg. You could do this with to_timestamp by concatinating both fields together, or it may be easier to replace the space in kellaaeg with a colon and cast it to time, then add the two:
  kuupaev + replace( kellaaeg, ' ', ':' )::time
I know you can't alter the table, but can you create a view on top of the table? If you did that, you could have a real >timestamp field in the view that is calculated from kuupaev and kellaaeg and you can create a functional index that >uses the same calculation. That would be the easiest way to use this.

Thank you.
I solved this by creating composite index on 3 columns and re-writing query as Tom recommended.
It looks like Tom's recommendation is simpler for me.

Andrus.