Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why isn't Java support part of Postgresql core?

On 9/18/2014 2:44 PM, cowwoc wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. I just wanted to reinforce the fact that you
don't need to bundle multiple JVMs (Oracle, OpenJDK and GCJ). You'd pick
one and bundle it alongside PG and pl/java.

I've been following along as an interested observer, having used PL/Java in the past, and developing with Java for a living. I don't think bundling is a good idea. Gili, as you fully understand, Java is a moving target. Important vulnerabilities are discovered and updates are pushed out to address. So, any bundled version would be subject to possibly rapid obsolescence. Then there are organizational constraints or concerns. Some will only use official JDKs from Oracle/Sun, others will only use OpenJDK. Some won't move to a new major version until at least the .1 release, others stick with their Java 6 company-wide standard even though that version is officially EOL'd.

So, in my opinion the least contentious way to go would be to have a set of instructions that inform the end user to install the JDK or JRE of their choice, subject to defined constraints. Then make PL/Java as painless as possible to install. This should not be a problem with larger organizations, since most use centrally-administered software configuration.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---