Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Feature request: temporary schemas

On 09/14/2014 02:01 PM, cowwoc wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to propose the ability to create temporary schemas.

Unlike temporary tables, this feature would enable developers to create a
temporary schema once and execute CREATE TABLE statements without the
TEMPORARY parameter.

This would facilitate running unit tests, where developers would like to run
the same creation script for unit tests and production code but do not wish
to parameterize each CREATE TABLE statement (both environments are expected
to execute identical scripts). It further enables the use of temporary
functions, something which is not possible today (apparently you can hack
this too, but there isn't an "official" way of doing so).

See http://dba.stackexchange.com/q/76494/4719 for a related discussion.

Should I move this discussion to a different mailing list or is this the
correct location?

So from the above link and the discussion here so far I gather you want:

1) A CREATE TEMPORARY SCHEMA that behaves like CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE, where it lasts only for a session and masks any existing schema and contained objects with the same name for the duration.

2) You want to run this on a test database as so you can have 'masked' tests over the permanent schema. Presumably because the tests can be destructive and you do not want change the underlying structure and/or data in your test database.

3) This needs to happen on the order of 4-10 times a second and it needs to be tied to a session, as multiple transactions need to be run in each test.

As to whether this is the appropriate list, I would say yes at least for sounding out the idea. The list to address for dealing with the folks that actually would implement the idea I would suggest --hackers.

In the meantime, the only way I can see doing this is creating and dropping databases. Not sure that would meet your 4-10 times a second requirement though.

Thanks,
Gili

--
Adrian Klaver