Search Postgresql Archives

Re: copymanager question

On 09/02/2014 01:28 AM, swaroop wrote:

Thanks for getting back.

So just to confirm if a string value , we need to take care off it ourselves
by escaping
any special character and quote (single, double) ? I am not exactly sure off
the escaping part
for each of the characters - have read that for single quotes, we need to
add one more single
quote to escape . Is this true ? Please can you confirm this and
specifically for any other character.

basically i want to ensure that if i get a string say abc'd"e\fgh/" or
something which has characters
i need to escape, i need to be aware off which are those characters for
which copy command
can consider it as invalid CSV.

A good place to start is:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/sql-copy.html

CSV Format

"....
The values in each record are separated by the DELIMITER character. If the value contains the delimiter character, the QUOTE character, the NULL string, a carriage return, or line feed character, then the whole value is prefixed and suffixed by the QUOTE character, and any occurrence within the value of a QUOTE character or the ESCAPE character is preceded by the escape character. You can also use FORCE_QUOTE to force quotes when outputting non-NULL values in specific columns. ..."

There is more, so I would read the whole section.

Currently using this COPY table(col1,col2,...coln) FROM STDIN WITH CSV  NULL
AS 'NULL-VAL' , new ByteArrayInputStream(bytes)

thanks again.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx