Search Postgresql Archives

Trigger to a queue for sending updates to a cache layer

Hi,

I'm working with a retail site with tens of millions of products in several languages.

For the detail pages, we try to cache in memcached. We also have quite a bit of keyword translation lookups (for international queries to solr).

We're thinking of adding a nosql layer that takes the big beating with the mundane reads. I don't fancy manually adding code to every possible place in the php code that touches the related tables.

What fast trigger solution would you use for this? I'm thinking of something that would just push (via fdw?) data to a queue; table name and item id. Naturally it should not slow down pg noticable and have stellar uptime.

Is the whole concept a stupid idea?

Thanks,
Marcus