Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pass where clause to a function

On 14 Aug 2014, at 7:59, Andrew Bartley <ambartley@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need this because it is a customer requirement.  The underlying tables the api will query are dynamically created, they are period/content partitioned and distributed across multiple servers and database types... not just postgres.  The api/function will determine what servers/databases/tables (some of them are foreign tables) to query based on the parameters passed to the api.  The customer wants to use their current reporting tool that does not support function selects.

Normally the reporting tool handles that sort of thing. I use a couple of reporting tools for work (WebFOCUS and some BO), both of which have an abstraction layer that places table definitions in specific databases. I haven’t come across any that couldn’t handle functions, so I’m curious what kind of reporting tool your customer is using that it can’t? Perhaps they need something more capable (in which case I wouldn’t advise BO)?

Alban Hertroys