Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Questions on dynamic execution and sqlca

> > - What are the differences among PL/SQL,  PL/PGSQL and pgScript.
>
> The first two are languages you write functions in.  pgScript is simply an
> informal way to group a series of statements together and have them execute
> within a transaction.

AFAICT, this isn't true. Pgscript is a client specific language. There is a whole description of what it can do in pgadmin's manual. This was interesting when PostgreSQL didn't have the DO statement. Now that we do, it's rather pointless.

​Yeah, I probably should have either researched the answer or just left it alone.  I am not all that familiar with pgAdmin - I figured it was just a souped up script runner with maybe a couple of features like variables but otherwise allowing only SQL commands.

No problem :)

pgscript reference is available on http://pgadmin.org/docs/1.18/pgscript.html.

Note that pgScript isn't specific to pgAdmin, AFAIK.

--
Guillaume.
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info