Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question regarding log files in postgresql

On 07/21/2014 02:21 PM, lucas.gary@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

I've rolled postgres to 'production', so box is in prod, but the
applications aren't active yet.

When I rolled the new box I'm seeing 2 log files:

postgresql-yyyy-MM-dd_hhmmss.log
AND
postgresql-9.3-main.log

Are they both in the same location?

I'm going to say you used a Debian/Ubuntu package correct?

The 'main' log doesn't appear to be used, however the time stamped file is.

That is the log file set up by the packaging system.

Does this make sense?  Is it normal?

My guess is either:

1) You are running a Debian style package and went into postgresql.conf and changed the log settings so you are not using the package logging.

or

2) You have/had a Debian package installed and you did a source(or other install) and you have two logs as a result.

I think it would be a good idea to investigate further for no other reason than ensure that you really do not have competing systems at work. Might save you some headaches down the road.

My logrotate entry makes some assumptions that may be incorrect now.

Another reason to verify what is going on.

Gary

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx