Search Postgresql Archives

Re: how to create multiple databases running in different dirs

> how would an instance of your program know what to connect to, or which
> normally, you have ONE database for a given set of applications, and all
> the applications share the same database tables and such.

That's the problem, is there some way to tell pgsql "Go to dir X, open your data base Y and prepare for connections at adress Z and port P"? And could pgsql accept multiple connections on the same address and port? I was thinking of using my pID but that would change and if I used a user created string then if I started only on a single instace of pgsql and pointed it to it's databases the user might get the strings duplicated and that would be no good. I also thought of naming each database with a name generated by using the uuid library but I'm not sure which would be best.

why directory, address and port? why not just 'open database X' ? this still doesn't answer my question, HOW do you determine which database a given instance of your program is supposed to connect to?

yes, postgres supports many different connections to the same address and port, either to the same database or different databases. relational databases are totally built around concurrent transactional operations.

there's no such thing as 'directory', all database tables are stored in the database server's private storage, the client app has no need to know where this is. There /is/ a concept of 'tablespaces', these are used when you want to put different tables on different file systems, typically used for very large scale databases, and/or when you have different performance tiers of storage.

No, the dynamically generated content is to be dropped (drop table dynamic_content;) but the rest is to be preserved. The idea is to create a database of a file system but the files contain no data, I only want their metadata and I will add a few additional metadta values to each file.

using TRUNCATE SOME_TABLE would likely make more sense, that deletes all the data in table SOME_TABLE, without actually deleting the table definition, so you can then proceed to insert new data into it.

I really don't understand what you mean by 'a database of a file system'. I'm beginning to suspect you don't understand how SQL databases work.