Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to get involved in the development of postgreSQL

On 06/22/2014 09:49 AM, Vito wrote:
Hi all,

I'm interested in the development of postgreSQL. But I think reading the
whole document will take a long time.
Do I have other means to learn about it faster and quickly begin to get
involved in the development?

I am not a developer, but have dug into enough corners and hung around enough discussions to give you some pointers on how and where to start.

1) Postgres is a big project, you will need to start by narrowing your focus to some portion of it that you find interesting. Preferably the narrower the better, at least at the beginning.

2) Here is a good visual representation, with links, to the general flow in Postgres:

http://www.postgresql.org/developer/backend/

3) You will need to review at least the 'Development Process' section of this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Development_information

If you do not already have an idea of what you want to do, then pay particular attention to the Todo List at the above page, for what the community wants.

4)  If have not already, subscribe to the hackers list:

http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-hackers/

Hanging out here for awhile will help you understand how the development process works.

5) Take a look at the CommitFest process:

https://commitfest.postgresql.org/

Best
Vito

--