Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgresql 9.2.4 - timezone error

Bhushan Pathak <bhushan.pathak02@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have postgresql 9.2.4 running on a CentOS 5 server. A JBOSS AS instance also runs on the same server, which connects to postgresql server [using defined connection
> pools].
>
> The issue I'm facing is that the JBOSS server is throwing out the error -
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone": "America/New_York"
>
> When I looked up on the internet, most common answer was to execute the following query from CLI which would expose the real problem -
>
> myDB=# SELECT * FROM pg_timezone_names WHERE name = 'America/New_York';
> ERROR:  could not stat "/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York": Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> What does this really mean? Why is postgresql complaining for symbolic links? Any ideas what has gone wrong? Any thing that needs checking?

Something is fishy in your filesystem such as a link loop...  see this
trivial example;

sj$ pwd
/tmp
sj$ ln -s foo bar
sj$ ln -s bar foo
sj$ cat foo
cat: foo: Too many levels of symbolic links
sj$ ls -l foo bar
lrwxrwxrwx 1 yomama yomama 3 May 29 11:38 bar -> foo
lrwxrwxrwx 1 yomama yomama 3 May 29 11:38 foo -> bar

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting