Search Postgresql Archives

Re: importing a messy text file

Hey,
with latest version 9.3 you can use a copy from with a programm as argument.
I had a similar problem (an extra space at the end of each line), so I used sed in a pipeline to remove it before feeding it to database.

You can use the unix | pipe for most of the stuff.

If you have an older version you can use the mkfifo command to "trick" postgres into believing he will copy from a file.

Cheers,
Rémi-C

Alberto, it would be hard to use sed( s/^I$// ), because there is no explicit NULL value and there are many NULLs in the last column.
So i can't be sure how many tabs should be in the end of each line.

Yes, Karsten, maybe scripting would be the easiest way to fix this, i would then probably insert this line for line. That's a possibility. It might take a long time to run, but that's not much of an issue.

--
Willy-Bas Loos