Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL query runs fine on one platform (FreeBSD), but hangs on another (Windows)

On 29/04/2014 12:39, David Noel wrote:
Ehh, to clarify I'm referring to the lone _double_ quotation mark at
the end of the condition 'health'<>''. I called it a "single quotation
mark" because it was a quotation mark all by itself, but realize that
could be misread. Single quotation marks are technically this: '
" (double quotation mark) designates a column name, table name, and rest of database objects.
' (single quotation mark) designates a text literal e.g. 'john', 'david', etc...
'health'<>'' (if that is what you have) means a boolean expression that compares the
literal 'health' with the empty literal '' which is of course always false.
Maybe *health* is a column name somewhere ? In this case it should be written :
"health" <> '' (i.e. comparison between the value of column "health" and the literal value '')

Sorry for the newbie spam -- I can't run
less-than/greater-than/quotation marks through Google for answers.