Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Disable an index temporarily

On 20 April 2014 02:21, Torsten Wrote:

> Hi,
>
> an index can be INVALID (pg_index.indisvalid=false).
>
> I want to temporarily disable an index so that it won't be used to
> access data but will still be updated.
>
> Can I simply set pg_index.indisvalid=false and later turn it true again?

I don't think there is any way to do so.

But If your intension is just to avoid index scan for some time, then you can use following command, which disable index scan
		set enable_indexscan to off;
Once you are done with experimentation, you can execute command, which enable index scan.
		set enable_indexscan to on;

Thanks and Regards,
Kumar Rajeev Rastogi