Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cluster recovery - FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. Different PG_CONTROL_VERSION for cluster and server.

On 04/17/2014 01:29 PM, Guillaume Drolet wrote:
Dear list users,

For some tests, I installed a new cluster with different parameters
than the ones I had used a while ago to create the cluster I use for
my day-to-day activities (let's call it my main cluster). I used
initdb --no-locale -E UTF8 -D <new_data_dir>. Then I used pg_ctl -D
<new_data_dir> to start my new cluster. So far so good.

Then, I realized that I wanted to add a database superuser with the
option -U to initdb so I decided to delete the newly created cluster.
Instead, I mistakenly deleted the data directory of my main cluster
(doh!), using Shift-Delete. I recovered the deleted data directory
using Panda Recovery Tool and copied it back into its location (the
location pointed to by $PGDATA).

Now for the real problems: if I go in pgAdmin and try to connect to my
cluster, I get the "server not listening" message. I also tried going
to the Services and restarting postgresql but it says it is already
stopped and if I try to start it, I get a message that it has started
but then stopped because it was unused.

If I try pg_ctl start, I get this message (my translation from
French):  FATAL: database files are incompatible with server. DETAIL:
Database cluster was initialized with a PG_CONTROL_VERSION ? 16795209
while the server was compiled with a PG_CONTROL_VERSION ? 937. HINT:
Looks like you need initdb.

More thoughts.

What happened to the new cluster?

Is it still running?

When you got the error messages where you pointing at the old or new cluster?

I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any help, if
anything can be done to recover my databases. My PG version is 9.3.3
on a Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Best regards and many thanks for your advice,

Guillaume

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx