Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Log file monitoring and event notification

On 04/05/2014 08:47 AM, Andy Colson wrote:
Hi All.

I've started using replication, and I'd like to monitor my logs for any errors or problems. I don't want to do it manually, and I'm not interested in stats (a la PgBadger).

What I'd like, is the instant PG logs: "FATAL: wal segment already removed" (or some such bad thing), I'd like to get an email....

As one component of our monitoring we route logging through syslog which has all messages go to one location for use by PgBadger and friends and simultaneously any message with a WARN or higher priority goes to a separate temporary "postgresql_trouble.log."

A cron-job checks this file periodically (currently we use 5-minutes) for content. If the file has content the script sends the appropriate emails and truncates the trouble log.

Cheers,
Steve