Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Spring JDBC and the PostgreSQL JDBC driver

On 04/04/14 10:22, John R Pierce wrote:
On 4/3/2014 1:31 PM, Matthew Chambers wrote:
This removes all the boilerplate associated with old style JDBC. It also means you get great reuse of your SQL code since the transaction starts at the entry point. Most of my SQL related code is just 1 liners using Springs JdbcTemplate class. I've written some massive applications with this style. My current postgres project sees about 4gbps of traffic during peak times and there is not an explicit begin/commit in the entire code base.

so how does the OP use Jdbc4Array.getArray() on an object returned from a Spring execute if Spring has automagically released/closed the connection?

Well, you wouldn't be calling Jdbc4Array.getArray() anywhere in your code where you don't have a connection, you would be doing that where the connection is active. The connection doesn't go away until the function that checked the connection out returns. Assuming you have a ResultSet object you can do this:

String[] arrayOfStrings= (String[]) resultSet.getArray("col_name").getArray();

To put data into an array field, you have to use a PreparedStatementCreator which gives you access to the java.sql.Connection, so you can call "createArrayOf" from that.

   jdbc.update(new PreparedStatementCreator() {
public PreparedStatement createPreparedStatement(final Connection conn) throws SQLException { final PreparedStatement ret = conn.prepareStatement(UPDATE_TAGS);
                ret.setObject(1, conn.createArrayOf("text", tags));
                ret.setObject(2, id);
                return ret;
            }
        });