Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SSD Drives

While I have two friends who work at FusionIO, and have great confidence in their products, we like to deploy more conventional SATA SSDs at present in our servers. We have been running various versions of Intel's enterprise and data center SSDs in production for several years now and couldn't be happier with their performance. The oldest in service at present are 710 series that have been subjected to a ~500wtps PG load 7*24 for the past 28 months. They still show zero wearout indication in the SMART stats.

As others have mentioned, power-fail protection (supercap) is the thing to look for, and also some sort of concrete specification for drive write endurance unless you have made a deliberate decision to trade off endurance vs. cost in the context of your deployment.