Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 9.3 debian install setup failure

thks for quick comments - see below:

On 03/21/2014 06:00 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 03/21/2014 04:47 PM, john.tiger wrote:
9.3 install on debian jessie  64amd

sudo -u postgres psql  => worked
alter user postgres with password 'password'  => alter role

su - postgress
enter password  =>  authentication failure

So did you really type postgress (note extra s) or is this just an email error?

  email error

hba.conf edited to allow "trust" to local  - shouldn't this be set up as
standard default ?

This is a packager decision, in other words something Debian did.

I didn't mean it was pre-set to trust - actually pre set to "peer" - I set it to "trust" to try to fix failure - no luck - it did not work but do think default should be set to "md5" or "trust" but based on mail list msgs maybe md5 is better than trust

still authentication failure (after rebooting)

now sudo -u postgres psql  =>  could not connect - is server running  -
shouldn't install set up server to be booted on start up ?

You would think. Are you sure it is not running? In other words have you done a ps ax and looked to see if it is running. It could also be that it running a listening on a different port. It would be helpful if you showed the actual full error messages. The fragment you show above (if I am assuming right) usually asks if the server is running and listening on port XXXX

sorry - trying to install on another machine not running email  -
"connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"

ps aux => shows it running

btw - trying to install this on chromebook running crouton - wonder if this is causing

EDIT from @rodrigo

hmm, user postgres vs os postgres - okay understand what you mean but how is this fixed ? or what is proper procedure ?