Search Postgresql Archives

cannot delete corrupted rows after DB corruption: tuple concurrently updated

We ran into an open file limit on the DB host (Mac OS X 10.9.0, Postgres 9.3.2) and caused the familiar "ERROR:  unexpected chunk number 0 (expected 1) for toast value 155900302 in pg_toast_16822" when selecting data.

Previously when we've run into this kind of corruption we could find the specific corrupted rows in the table and delete by ctid.  However, this time we're running into a persistent "ERROR:  tuple concurrently updated" when deleting by ctid.

munin2=# select ctid from testruns where id = 141889653;
     ctid
 (37069816,3)
(1 row)

munin2=# delete from testruns where ctid = '(37069816,3)';
ERROR:  tuple concurrently updated

This always occurs and seems to prevent us from cleaning up the database by removing the corrupted rows.

Before attempting to do more drastic things like restart the postgres instance, is there some known way of getting around this error and cleaning up the corruption (other than the full replicate / reindex / suggestions from around the web that are more involved than deleting corrupted rows by ctid).

thanks,

	~ john