Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database snapshots or clones for staging and testing.

On 01/30/2014 02:12 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
Hi all.

I have the following scenario I want to accomplish.

In order to test a new branch of code I want to create a snapshot of the
live database into a testing database. The code will be deployed after
that and it may run some migrations which will change the schema of the
database.  The code is then tested using both automated testing and user
acceptance testing (this stage may take hours or perhaps even days).
  During that time the users can change the data.  After the branch is
accepted by the users we would like to "reset" the database to the way
it was before and perhaps test another branch.

One obvious way to do this would be to do a backup/restore but as the
database grows larger that process is taking too long.  It would be
great if we could do a streaming replica and then pause the replication,
run our tests, and then reset the database to the point at which the
replication was paused and restart the replication. Is that possible?

Another option would be the try and leverage PITR.  Create a checkpoint,
run the migrations do your tests, roll back to everything to the start.
This does seem possible to me although of course I am still stuck with
the backup restore problem.

Anything I missed? Surely there is a super clever trick I am missing here.

Well since you mention snapshots, one way I have seen it done on this list is to use a file system that supports snapshots and use that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx