Search Postgresql Archives

client_min_messages not suppressing messages in psql nor pgAdminIII

This is a cross-post from http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21238209/info-output-despite-set-client-min-messages-to-warning-just-before since I'm not getting any answers there yet.

With postgresql-9.0.15 on CentOS 6.5 (accessed via pgAdminIII 1.18.1 on Win2003), I have a plperlu function that outputs an INFO message. I want to suppress it during testing (using psql, which also behaves as below), but I can't even seem to do it from a pgAdminIII query window:

    SET client_min_messages TO WARNING;
    select my_info_outputting_function('lalala')

I run that and look in the "messages" tab, and there's my INFO message.

(This may appear similar to http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11404206/how-to-suppress-info-messages-when-running-psql-scripts , but I don't want to disable INFO messages for my whole session, just part of it and then set the minimum back to NOTICE.)

What am I doing wrong with the above code snippet? Does client_min_messages not apply to pl/perlu functions?

UPDATE: upon further investigation, it seems to happen even with plpgsql functions, not just plperlu functions:

create or replace function my_info_outputting_function() returns void as $$
    begin
    	raise INFO 'this should not appear...';
    	return;
    end;
    $$ language plpgsql;
    SET client_min_messages TO WARNING;
    select my_info_outputting_function();

I run the above snippet in a pgAdminIII query window and "this should not appear" appears in the messages tab. Quoi?

Update 2: I also tried [log_min_messages][1] just in case.  Same behaviour.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kev

[1]: http://bytes.com/topic/postgresql/answers/423022-supressing-notice-messages-windows-cygwin-only-not-working