Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Sudden slow down and spike in system CPU causes max_connections to get exhausted

The reason we're on ext2 is to get around
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CED87E13.C57E7%karthik.anandkumar@memo
rylane.com

We had pretty severe index and table corruption that would occur randomly
- this was on ext3, and centos 5.6, 2.6.18 kernel. The problems got fixed
after we upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32, Centos 6.3. We also dropped down
to ext2 because we would see the filesystem go readonly, and wanted to get
the journal out of the way (yes, maybe overkill, but we desperately needed
to stop crashing)

We are getting a standby box up on Centos 6.5 with xfs, will move to that.
Thats longer term though and I'm hoping to be able to resolve this issue
before we get there.

We'll try reducing the number of backends, and disable transparent huge
pages. I'll update the thread with our results.

Thanks,
Karthik