Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WAL archive cleanup om master

On 01/06/2014 03:18 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
Hoi,

I've setup a up WAL shipping configuration as described in the wiki. On
the master I have:

archive_mode    = on
archive_command = 'cp %p /path_to/archive/%f'

and on the slave in the recovery.conf I have:

archive_cleanup_command = 'pg_archivecleanup /path/to/archive/ %r'
restore_command = 'cp /path/to/archive/%f %p'

In between the two machines I have an rsync process copying the files
from the master to the slave.

My problem is, that the archive_cleanup_command on the slave is
clearing old WAL files, which the rsync on the master just copies again
because they are still on the master.

I can make a script on the master that deletes files older than an
hour, but that will break horribly if the copying breaks for an hour.

Is there a smarter way to do this, like having rsync not copy stuff
already copied once?

From the Department of Second Thoughts and with aid of additional caffeine, I am fairly certain that the rsync switch I sent in previous post will not help. If the archive_command cp is working then rsync will have nothing to do. If the archive_command cp is not working then rsync will not create any new files in its absence.

Thanks in advance,

--