Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question(s) about crosstab

On 12/18/2013 05:14 PM, John Abraham wrote:
On Dec 18, 2013, at 3:52 PM, Joe Conway <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3) Not possible -- reason was given down thread. Column definition
must be known/determinable by the parser prior to query execution.

No, wait, I think you misunderstood my idea.  Can’t we have a python
function that crosstabs the data in python, then creates a new table,
then inserts that data into the new table by looping through a bunch
of inserts?

Oh, well I believe you could do that today in plpgsql (build the "create table as select * from crosstab..." sql as described earlier in this thread, then execute it), so I'm sure you could do it in plpython as well. But this isn't generally what people are looking for.

Joe

--
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us