Search Postgresql Archives

Re: unexplainable psql exit status 1

> According to the documentation you quoted, it would be useless to set
> log_statement=all, because the problem is on the client end.
> Shell debugging sounds slightly more promising, but it will probably
> not tell you much more than that psql returned with exit code 1.
> A quick look at the code gave me the impression that psql will always
> write an error message before exiting with 1, but I may have missed a case.
> Are you sure that there is nothing on stdout or stderr in the cases where
> psql returns 1?
> What is the last psql command that is executed?
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Thanks Laurenz.
I’ve enabled shell debugging to be 100% sure that I’m not munging the return code anywhere. It’s entirely possible there is something going on at the shell side of things, though I fail to see how just at the minute :)
The output of the script is as follows, bearing in mind that all STDERR is being redirected to STDOUT – there should be no other output to be found.
I’ve verified stdout just in case, to no avail.

\set QUIET 1
\timing
\set HISTSIZE 2000
\unset QUIET
DISCARD ALL;
DISCARD ALL
Time: 0.321 ms
—-SELECT STATEMENT SNIPPED
SELECT 7713
Time: 22.081 ms
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS duplicates(like source_table);
psql:/path/to/duplicate_removal.sql:36: NOTICE:  relation "duplicates" already exists, skipping
CREATE TABLE
Time: 0.416 ms
BEGIN;
BEGIN