Search Postgresql Archives

Does "--no-unlogged-table-data" prevent table locking?

If a database has an unlogged table and that table is truncated during while a database dump with the "--no-unlogged-table-data" option is running, will the table be locked against a truncate or will the truncate succeed? The documentation is unclear on this detail.

Background:

We have a regular Bash script that essentially does the following:

1. Some preprocessing
2. psql: ...empty a table, populate the table, do some processing on the table...
3. More non PG steps in Bash
4. psql ...some remaining processing on the table and export the results...
5. Cleanup

We are now colliding with a nightly dump which is delaying this script. Note that since there is a break between the two calls to psql, we cannot use a temporary table but an unlogged table is perfectly safe for our purposes.

Cheers,
Steve