Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Full Stored Procedure Support, any time soon ?

Alban Hertroys wrote on 30.11.2013 22:34:
- Multiple result sets

Since you’re talking about procedures, you can’t possibly mean that those return multiple result sets?

Yes, basically something like this:

create procedure foobar()
begin
  select * from table_1;
  select * from table_2
end;

I know that at least SQL Server and MySQL can do that. Maybe others as well (Sybase most probably).

But I always failed do see the actual advantage of that because the results can't be "used" any further (e.g. in a JOIN or a subselect).
I also don't understand why having a single procedure doing a lot of stuff is better than having several procedures (or functions) doing one defined thing.

From a JDBC point of view the code simply asks the Statement whether it has any more result sets
and loops over this until all results are returned.

Thomas