Search Postgresql Archives

Re: nested query vs left join: query planner very confused

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:06:51 -0500, bricklen <bricklen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Has the client ANALYZEd recently? What happens if the client issues
> the following commands before executing the query?
> VACUUM ANALYZE lp.sigs;
> VACUUM ANALYZE lp.mags;
>
> If that doesn't change the plan, could you post the values for
> effective_cache_size, shared_buffers, random_page_cost,
> cpu_tuple_cost, work_mem and how much RAM is in the client machine?

Yes, I did have them do a vacuum analyze with no result. Here's their
reply on configuration:

		   It is 24 Gig.

		   effective_cache_size - 12000MB
		   shared_buffers - 1024MB
		   random_page_cost - is commented out
		   cpu_tuple_cost -  commented out
		   work_mem - commented out

I assume you guys already know the default values for those last 3 on a
9.0.x server...