Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Clone database using rsync?

On 11/05/2013 03:41 PM, matt@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Copying the data folder should work as long as you stop the postgres
service on the production server before starting the copy and don't start
it up again until the copy finishes.  pg_dump and pg_restore (look them up
in the online docs) will get the job done without you having to take the
production server offline.

If you go with the folder copy and your installation has postgresql.conf,
pg_hba.conf and so on in your data folder, you'll probably want to edit
them after the copy - more logging, different security etc.

OP did not say what version they where on but pg_basebackup could be an option, no shutdown necessary either:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/app-pgbasebackup.html

Matt

I need to clone production database to development  server ? What is the
best
and simplest way to achieve that? Both my production and development
postgres versions are same. Will copy over data folder using rsync work?

Thanks in advance.

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx