Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Curious question about physical files to store database

Em 05/11/2013 12:51, Albe Laurenz escreveu:
Patrick Dung wrote:
I have seen some databases product that allocate small number of large files.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

MSSQL (one file is the data and another file for the transaction log)
MySQL with InnoDB
Oracle
DB2
I don't know enough about DB2 and MSSQL, but you are correct
with regard to InnoDB and Oracle.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

MSSQL can use several data files, but in general, you will have one for database data, and one for database log. Advanced administrator would choose to split database among several files (specially in sparse disks). For instance, you would have one data file in one SCSI disk for data, and one data file in another SCSI disk for indexes, and a third SCSI disk for log. You can have several (hundreds? thousands? I can't remember) data files.

regards,

Edson Richter