Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Point In Time Recovery

On 10/24/2013 9:47 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:

I restore from my base backup plus WAL quite often. It is how I get a fresh dev or test instance when I want one. (It is also how I have confidence that everything is working well and that I know what I'm doing should the time come to do a real restore). When that starts to take an annoyingly long time, I run a new base backup. How often that is, can be anywhere from days to months, depending on what's going on in the database.

hey, silly idea formed on half a cup of coffee.... if that base backup is in the form of a copy of the data directory (as opposed to tar.gz or something), could you 'update' it by pointing an instance of postgres at it, and then playing the WAL archive into it, then shutting that instance down? or would it be impossible to synchronize the ongoing new WAL's from the master with the timeline of this?