Search Postgresql Archives

Preserving the source code of views

Hello! I'm evaluating PostgreSQL as a replacement for SQL Server in our in-house systems. I've been really impressed with it so far, and I'm eager to try it with our data sets.

I've run across one thing that would make a transfer difficult. Postgres doesn't preserve the source code for views, as far as I can tell. It parses them and then prints them its own way. We have a lot of complicated views, where both the formatting and the comments are significant. In fact, we produce some of our system documentation directly from the comments.

Is there currently a way to preserve the original source code of a view as entered in the CREATE VIEW statement?

--Brian