Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql

On 10/12/2013 06:39 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

Certainly not. Not to mention the issue of end-user productivity. Not
to mention the deployment mess, both server- *and* client-side, with
"web apps". Etc. and so on...

Five years ago I would have agreed with you totally. Web applications where useless for serious data entry. Today I am on the fence for two reasons.

1) My primary career for many years has involved construction/maintenance work. In the course of said work I have spent many hours at the counters of wholesale vendors placing orders. My observation has been that as the vendors moved from text --> GUI --> Web applications the counter personnel productivity has decreased. With the old text applications I could rattle off a list of items and quantities and the data person could enter them in real time. At the end I would say 'done', they would hit print, I would take a few sips of coffee while the order printed, we would go pick the order. The only improvement I see with the new software is I get to drink more coffee as I often get to sip between items as latency has increased.

2) Per previous comments in this thread the market is demanding Web competency in app development. To that end I have been pushing myself up that learning curve. Just this morning I finished a form driven by Django using javascript/JQuery and backed by Postgres. In that form I have an autocomplete field that derives its values from an array populated by a database query. On selection of an entry in that field I use the id associated with that entry to pull more information from the database and populate other fields in the form. I quite pleased with the snappiness of the response, granted this all done locally, though it is going through the Django development server which makes no claims to being speedy.

Development of said Web form involved quite a few moving parts. Learning the parts was time consuming, learning to get them to exchange information correctly even more so. The whole process would have taken even longer where I not standing on the shoulders of better developers them me, i.e Django for a database driven Web framework, JQuery to take some of the ugliness out of Javascript.

Conclusion:

I agree with you to an extent that Web development is oversold.
I disagree that it is totally useless, there is promise.

P.S:

As to your examples of Web apps, web mailers, forums, etc, I would say Caveat emptor . There is no such thing as 'free'. Most of the apps you mention serve a dual purpose, one to provide the service specified, read email for example, second to provide a source of customers to the provider from which they can derive some monetary benefit. To serve that second purpose they are cluttered with code, screen elements that really do not have anything to do with the first purpose.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang

--
Adrian Klaver