Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Number of WAL segment

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 9:46 PM, tdev457 <idzob23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using PostgreSQL 8.3.8!!!
> How can I increase number of WAL segments in pg_xlog???
> Current settings are:
> checkpoint_segments=10
> checkpoint_completion_target=0.5
>
> WAL segments are generated every 10 min and I want to keep WAL segments in
> pg_xlog for at least 3h.
It is not possible to keep WAL files in pg_xlog in 8.3 for such a
duration as checkpoint_timeout would kick a checkpoint at least every
hour even if you'd set it to its maximum value which is 1 hour. So the
solution to keep 3 hours of WAL files in this case is simply to use an
archive, and to delete periodically old files no longer needed based
on your needs.

Note that you could use wal_keep_segments with a server >= 9.1 to do that.
--
Michael