Search Postgresql Archives

Re: need a hand with my backup strategy please...

>> Unfortunately though if there is heavy load, the wal files will be generated more regularly than the 5 minute max.

> If you wrote the WAL to an external, mounted disk, wouldn't that solve the issue?

What I'm trying to say is that I configured it to keep (60/5) * 24 segments plus a few spare, because I am switching xlog every 5 mins. But if there is heavy load then they will be generated more often than every 5 mins, so that number won't be enough.

But I think it's a moot point because they seem to be useless unless you have all of them up to the last base backup. Which to me indicates I need to do a base backup every day...?

Cheers, jamie