Search Postgresql Archives

Re: help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?

On 09/10/2013 06:57 AM, Chris Curvey wrote:
*From:*Marcin Mańk [mailto:marcin.mank@xxxxxxxxx]
*Sent:* Monday, September 09, 2013 8:30 PM
*To:* Chris Curvey
*Cc:* pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re:  help getting a backtrace from 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Chris Curvey <ccurvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ccurvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    But I'm having troubles with the 9.2 server crashing when I'm
    restoring the dump.  I'm using the 9.2 version of pg_dump.  I've
    tried restoring a custom-format dump with pg_restore, and I've tried
    restoring  a text-format dump with pqsl, and both of them are
    crashing on me.

    The data is too sensitive for me to submit a database dump to the
    community, but I'd like to submit a stack trace, in the hopes that
    someone might be able to figure out what's going on.  But I'm having
    some trouble getting this done.

Is it crashing on a specific database object? pg_restore -v will tell
you how far it went. Then try to restore only that object. Is it perhaps
crashing on a specific row?

Try producing a self contained test case (like only the culprit table,
anonymized).

Regards

Marcin Mańk

Good advice.  I turned on –verbose, and got a ton of output, ending with:

pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for FK CONSTRAINT
user_id_refs_id_7ceef80f

pg_restore: setting owner and privileges for FK CONSTRAINT
user_id_refs_id_dfbab7d

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: no connection to
the server

     Command was: -- Completed on 2013-09-09 11:35:16 EDT

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: no connection to
the server

At this point I would be more worried about the above, 'no connection to server'.

     Command was: --

-- PostgreSQL database dump complete

–

Which I find really odd, because I specified –no-owner –no-privileges
–no-tablespace

--no-owner does not mean that ownership is not set, just that the ownership from the source database is not carried over.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-pgrestore.html

-O
--no-owner
Do not output commands to set ownership of objects to match the original database. By default, pg_restore issues ALTER OWNER or SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION statements to set ownership of created schema elements. These statements will fail unless the initial connection to the database is made by a superuser (or the same user that owns all of the objects in the script). With -O, any user name can be used for the initial connection, and this user will own all the created objects.

chris@mu:/sdb$ pg_restore --dbname=certified_mail_ccc2 --format=c
--verbose --clean --no-owner --no-privileges --no-tablespaces -h mu -p
5434 cm_Mon.backup

So now I’m up to three questions.  (Why the crash?  How to get
backtrace?  Why are we applying permissions when I said not to?)  I
guess that’s the nature of the universe. Let me see if I can figure out
which table that is and try to create a test case.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx