Search Postgresql Archives

Getting list of supported types in Postgres

Hi guys,

I am looking for a way to get list of supported types in Postgres together with information whether type can have optional size (like varchar for example), whether it can have precision (like decimal for example), and whether it can come as value of sequence (like all integer types for example), but I have trouble getting that info from pg_type table. This is SQL I was using:

select
	pg_catalog.format_type(oid, null),
	*
from
	pg_type
where
typnamespace = (select oid from pg_namespace where nspname='pg_catalog') and
	typisdefined and
	typname not like '$_%' escape '$' and
	typname not like 'pg%' and
	typtype = 'b'
order by
	typname

apparently pg_catalog.format_type for some types return quoted name ("char" for example), also I can't find decimal in results (there is numeric, but I would like to have complete list of supported types, so decimal should be included too). In documentation it is said that typlen of -1 or -2 means that type is variable length, but I don't know how to find out if type can have additional precision?

Regards,
Ivan